Piggy Dolls Piggy Style Mini Album review

1/08/2011 10:57:00 AM

LaurenLCD



Artist: Piggy Dolls
Album: Piggy Style
Release Date: 2011.01.06
Genre: Dance Pop / R&B / Ballad

Track list:
01 Intro       04 Darling
02 Trend      05 아니잖아
03 그거 아니


Ughhhhhhhh...

I hate the name of this group. I mean, could it be worse?

Piggy... Dolls... *cringes*

Anyway, these girls just debuted on Korea's 6th and our 5th with their concept of being 'big girls.' I use that term loosely because "big" in Korea is average size here in the States while normal there (small as I -4'10"; 2.5 juniors; 94 lbs- or smaller) is anorexic or underweight here.Their goal is to make girls that aren't built like Barbies feel good about themselves. Nice enough goal as long as they don't act like the obnoxious comedian/actress Monique.

As far as their music goes; the girls say that they aspire to be like 2ne1. I hear it, but in all the wrong ways.

Trend is aptly titled, because they follow all the same trends that I have heard all through 2009 and last year:

  Autotune?
 

They use autotune in the very first verse of the very first track. Granted, it's more tasteful and tolerable than 2ne1's autotune abuse, but that doesn't change the fact that they use it.

Electronica dance pop? Midtempo? Ballad?



There is a midtempo, a straight dance pop song, and a "ballad." The midtempo 그거 아니 is nice, but quickly becomes background noise unless I make my myself focus on it. That's not a good thing. It means that I'm bored. Darling, while not as boring (It reminds me of Lupin which is a good thing since I like that song), goes nowhere. The so called strong, powerful voices they have: they almost had me convinced. However, the belting attempt after the bridge (2:05-2:16) did not make me go OMGWOW!!11!11 They sound nice/decent, but I don't find anything particularly special about them. Their voices, dancing, nothing makes me perk up and draws my undivided attention. I find that nothing makes me zero in. 아니잖아 is a lovely ballad, but I've heard more engaging, tug-at-my-indifferent-heart-strings ballads from the likes of MayDoni, Olivia, Namie, Boa, f(x), and Wonder Girls.




Their company bragging that this is 'Something people have never heard before.'
The only thing different about them is that they aren't tiny. Musically, they're
nothing I'd write home about.

Praising of their vocals.
They're okay. They ignorantly make the assumption that like a stereotypical opera singer, being big girls means that they have "big" vocals. Their vocals are average/good at best, but once again, I've heard some of the strongest vocals come from small girls like Maydoni, Luna, Boa in her teenage years, Gain (or anyone from BEG), and Bom.

Verdict: Overall ♪ ♪ 1/2 / ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
They have potential to be big (no pun intended), but for me, they are going to need more than their girth if they're to make me into a fan. They just don't quite have that "It factor" (whatever it is) that pulls me in. The songs are alright, but they don't make me stop and listen. I can not pin point why, but they just don't.

Labels:

WARNING

Best viewed in Chrome; Incompatible with IE, Opera.

TWEETS

CBOX